Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How to Flood Icing

 I have always wanted to try flooding cookies, because they make some of the most gorgeous cookies. The only reason I haven't tried this technique is because my family isn't a huge fan of sugar cookies and frosting. They complain (even my kids) that it's too sweet so whenever I've shown a picture of cookies I want to make to my husband he always talks me out of them. This year for Elijah's birthday cake I really wanted to incorporate his pilot that was part of his theme, so I thought that Elijah's cake would be the perfect chance to finally try out this technique.


I did this the day before Elijah's party so it would have time to set. First, I transferred the outline of the pilot and paper planes onto rolled out fondant using piping gel. I then retraced the images using royal icing in the coordinating colors. I thinned out the icing and flooded each part. I have to say that I was a little nervous about how this would turn out since it was my first time doing it and if it didn't work I was going to have to figure out some other way to decorate his cake last minute. I'm really happy to say that it turned out great! (Well, I think so :) ) I got the recipe {here} from Joy of Baking and she even includes a video to show you the technique (it's the last five minutes of her video). I actually watched {this video} for the how to.

No comments:

Post a Comment