Monday, March 7, 2011

Robot Party

Elijah was obsessed with robots for awhile and wanted a robot themed party for his 3rd birthday. So I tried to find things in stores and online, and couldn't find much, that is until the day of his party... of course that'd happen. But if anyone else wants to throw a robot party here are some of my finds.

I went to Target to get most of the supplies for the party. They were the only place I could find robot stuff. And the best part was almost all of them were in their $1 bins. (I bought the slinkies there for $0.25!) I used these as party favors.

I used this printable for Elijah's robot cutout. I spent less than $10 on his cutout and all of the kids had so much fun with it. I think it needs to be made with something heavier than styrofoam though, so the kids can't run around the house with it. lol To make the cutout I went to Home Depot and found styrofoam insulation with the foil on it (less than $5) then bought some shelf holders (less than $2 each) and just hot glued them to the base so it'd stand up. I cut a hole out using a sharp knife and painted the robot body using acrylic paints. Voila! My own cutout stand for pictures.
I saw some cute robot sandwiches and used the idea to make my own. Mine are a lot simpler being only ham and cheese sandwiches but the kids seemed to like them all the same, and it's not like they knew what they were missing.
I traced some gears in Illustrator and used them for the labels for Elijah's birthday banner and for the food. (I had some robots that my dad made for me using Illustrator that I was going to use to "hold" up the gears on the banner, but my printer ran out of ink and I ran out of time) I labelled the food to go with the robot theme. And I thought that these tissue pinwheels were kind of like gears (maybe just to me), but it at least added some more color and I cut out some robots and glued them to the centers.

(I also had apples with the label saying "powered by apple" and chocolate milk for the "fuel")

Elijah also likes pinwheels so I used robot paper (found at Target) and made them into pinwheels using this tutorial.
Elijah's cake was really simple to do. I still wanted to have an "educational" aspect and thought it'd be fun to do a rainbow cake. I saw this cute rainbow cake on the Whisk Kid and thought I'd try it out. I used my own recipes, but used her technique. Only the head was cake. I wrapped it in fondant and made fondant eyes. For the body, I took a box and wrapped it, then glued on the "screen", and the legs are just cans with the labels removed. See? Super simple!
For crafts, I had a robot and rocket foam kit from awhile ago that I bought at Walmart and just busted it out for the party.

Some fun activity ideas I thought of doing were to play Robot Says (same as Simon Says, but doing robot things), a robot scavenger hunt where they find things to build a robot then they put one together, and of course have them dress like a robot. 
We had a robot dance party. I recorded Robot Dance A Lot on Disney and put it on for the kids to follow and it was really cute to watch all of the kids dancing and doing "the robot".

And here are some free printables: (I didn't use any of these, but wanted to)
Some robot coloring pages
robot and rocket printables
In case you want to go all out and make some paper robots, check this out.
I found these the day after his party, but really wish I had them before.
If I had the talent and time I would've tried to make these cupcakes by hello naomi
And if my husband would've let me buy these cupcake holders, I would've (and I still want them lol).

I hope this helps anyone who has a robot obsessed kid wanting a robot party. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment